Thursday, February 2, 2012

We should never forget . . .

Hi, neighbors!
 
Several of us are going to the tax office this Saturday (2/4/12) at 10:00 a.m. to be trained and sworn-in as official Deputy Voter Registrars.  The training takes no more than an hour and costs nothing.  Some of us plan on meeting at the St. Johns Church Parking lot (Braker @ Parkfield) at 9:15 a.m.  People wishing to carpool, can meet there.  Or simply motor yourself to the County Tax Office at 5501 Airport Blvd, Austin 78751.  Ms. Cheryl Reese, with the Voter Registration office has graciously agreed to provide a special Saturday training session for several North Austin Neighborhoods.  I am not asking you to sign up or make a commitment or RSVP.  However, if you have been looking for a way to make a difference, this could be a start. 

Why don't you come?  There is plenty of room for more - and you will become an official Deputy Voter Registrar.
 
The Gracywoods Neighborhood Association, which includes the residents in North Park Estates, plans to sponsor one voter registration event-- on President's Day, Monday Feb. 20th.  Personally, I plan to assist anyone who would like to register to vote… at my job, my church, my art class, my book club, amongst my family and my friends.  If I can help just one person to register and vote, I will consider myself well  paid for that hour.
 
During my own lifetime I have seen Americans change the fundamentals of their society in terms of civil rights, minority rights, and women's rights.   We should never forget that we influence our government.  Our vote is our message.  Our involvement in the process is our message. 
 
This isn't the year to complain.  This is the year to stand up.  Please join your neighbors, invite your friends and let us all start doing something.

Thank you!

Janet Fulk
President -2012
Gracywoods Neighborhood Association

##

No comments:

Post a Comment